More About Christian Science and Spiritual Healing
Welcome to the "Prayer That Heals" website, hosted by the Christian Science Churches in Southern California. These churches are part of the worldwide Christian Science movement. The Mother Church, The First Church of Christ, Scientist, is headquartered in Boston, Massachusetts.
Christian Science is a Christian religion based on the Bible and the teachings of Christ Jesus. It was founded by Mary Baker Eddy who wrote Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures first published in 1875.
Would you like to know more about Christian Science and spiritual growth? You and your family are warmly invited to visit our church services and to explore the healing resources available in our Reading Rooms. Sunday School classes are open to children and teenagers of all faiths. More about Christian Science.
Teachings of Jesus. You will find that Christian Science is a scientific system of spiritual healing based on the teachings of Christ Jesus. Since the time of Jesus, Christians have turned to prayer for healing, not only of physical ailments, but of every kind of trouble. For several hundred years after Jesus' resurrection and ascension, his followers healed as Jesus did by relying on God alone to sustain their life, health and well-being. However, for various reasons, the practical elements of spiritual healing based on the laws of God became lost for nearly two thousand years.
FAQ. Here are some common questions about Christian Science beliefs. Choose the questions that interest you or see our responses to all of the questions on our Frequently Asked Questions page. If you have other questions, contact us.
1. Is Christian Science Christian?
2. What is Christian Science? Is it Scientology? Is it a cult?
3. What makes Christian Science churches different from other Christian churches?
4. Do Christian Scientists go to doctors or believe in medicine?
5. Does Christian Science forbid medical care or attention?
6. Why don’t Christian Scientists drink or use drugs?
7. Is Christian Science faith healing?
8. How can I be healed?
9. Why is "Science" part of your name?
10. Why is Mary Baker Eddy called your "leader"?
11. Do Christian Scientists ignore sickness, sin and death?
12. Is Christian Science safe to use for healing children?
13. Can both Christian Science and medical treatment be used?
14. What do Christian Scientists think about salvation?
15. How can we be "saved"?
16. What does it mean to be born again?
17. Why don't more people practice Christian Science healing?