Welcome to the
Christian Science Reading Room
Los Angeles, CA
A sanctuary of peace & kindness
We invite you to our quiet place for study and prayer or to ask questions about Christian Science.
Literature on Christian Science as well as the Bible, inspirational CDs and children's books are available to enjoy or purchase.
No gossip. No judgment.
All are welcome!
Annual Committee Meeting
November 19 - 2:00 to 4:00 p.m.
See details on event listing.
Join us daily at 11:00 a.m. to listen to inspirational talks on Christian Science, testimonies of healing, or the weekly Bible Lesson.
- The weekly Bible Lesson for study or purchase
- The Christian Science Monitor weekly newspaper to read or purchase
- The Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy and her other works as well as biographies on her life
- Books in Spanish, French, Japanese, Russian and many other languages
- The Christian Science Sentinel, Christian Science Journal magazines to read or purchase
- Over 100 years of inspiring articles and testimonies of Christian Science healing for research
- A bargain bookshelf for great deals on older or gently used literature
- A space for children to read and play quietly.
Our Reading Room Code of Conduct
No objectionable pictures shall be exhibited in the rooms where the Christian Science textbook is published or sold. No idle gossip, no slander, no mischief-making, no evil speaking shall be allowed.
Westin Bonaventure Hotel
404 S. Figueroa St., Ste. 602A
Los Angeles, CA 90071
- Entrance at corner of 5th and Flower. Take the Blue elevators to the 5th floor then up one flight of stairs.
- Parking is available in the building. 1 hr free with Validation (show your ticket to the Reading Room Librarian or Attendant). Additional validations can be purchased from the Reading Room for $5/hour.
- The closest Metro stations are the 7th St. Metro Center and Pershing Square. Routes and schedules can be found at www.metro.net.
Reading Room Hours
Monday - Friday
9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
(10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. in summertime)
Saturday & Sunday
Christian Science was founded by Mary Baker Eddy in 1866. She defined Christian Science as “the law of God, the law of good . . . ” (Rudimental Divine Science, p. 1) and dedicated her later years to understanding and demonstrating these laws through prayer and healing.
Christian Science Reading Rooms were first established at the turn of the 20th century to make Christian Science literature available for purchase or study. Jointly Maintained Reading Rooms opened as early as 1936 and are supported by several churches in the region. They are located in easily accessible public spaces, such as airports, city centers or hotels.
Our reading room in the historic Bonaventure Hotel — a postmodern architectural beauty, designed by John C. Portman, Jr. and opened in 1976 — is a welcome respite from the downtown buzz. Famous for its 33-story glass cylinders, revolving restaurant and indoor fountains, the Bonaventure has appeared in dozens of Hollywood films. In the heart of the Financial District, eateries abound, and we are just steps from Bunker Hill, the Broad Museum, MOCA, the Disney Concert Hall and Grand Central Market. Visitors from all over the world as well as locals are welcome to stop by our beautiful location to just say hello or stay for a while.
Annual Meeting 2022
Contributions are appreciated
You may donate using PayPal or any major debit or credit card.