Ad campaigns can also be run for Sunday school, Reading Rooms or video lecture replays.
- Why are we doing Facebook advertising for churches?
- What is the purpose of the ad campaign?
- What is the difference between a lecture ad campaign and a services ad campaign?
- When will my ad campaign run?
- What does the advertising cost?
- What information do I need to provide?
- What do I need to do before the advertising starts? IMPORTANT!
- How do I review the ads?
- How will my ads be designed?
- Can I change the advertising?
- Who are the ads targeting?
- How many users will ads reach?
- What does an increased budget cover?
- How can I monitor progress of ads?
- What results should I expect from the ad campaign?
- What information needs to be included on our Website?
- What if we have our own church Website?
- What if we have Web pages on Prayerthatheals.org?
- What else can I do?
- Where do I send my ad contribution?
- Will I be receiving an invoice?
1. Why are we doing Facebook advertising for churches?
This ad program is offered by the CS Joint Media Committee of Southern California starting in January/February 2022. We know that Facebook is a great way to reach people new to Christian Science as well as dedicated church members and attendees, because of our success with lecture ads. Prayer that Heals Facebook has nearly 6,500 fans, and most new users are non-Christian Scientists. Over 2,100 fans are in Southern California.
2. What is the purpose of the ad campaign?
Although Facebook ad campaigns are promoting church attendance, the main purpose is for the Joint Media Committee to help SoCal churches raise awareness of Christian Science services in their areas. Therefore, the goal of the ad campaigns is to create awareness of churches with users in the SoCal area.
3. What is the difference between a lecture ad campaign and a services ad campaign?
Facebook ad campaigns for church services will be placed using the same process as lecture ads. The difference is that users will be directed to your church or society Website or Web pages on prayerthatheals.org, instead of to the Facebook Prayer that Heals page. This is called a Web traffic Facebook ad campaign. Please see #7 below for important information regarding your Web pages.
4. When will my ad campaign run?
Ad dates and times are flexible; however, we suggest starting new ad campaigns during slower church advertising periods; not while advertising lectures or other events.
5. What does the advertising cost?
The minimum ad budget is $300 per ad campaign for two weeks.
A higher ad budget of $600 per ad campaign for four weeks will reach additional users.
Note: Facebook advertising rates vary based on location and other factors which are out of our control. Rates or policies may change at any time affecting the number of users reached.
6. What information do I need to provide?
Ad copy will be provided by Joint Media's online marketing consultant for multiple ads for each ad campaign. If you would like us to consider content or photos for your ads, please email them to email@example.com as soon as possible. Ad copy will be submitted for your review.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your advertising request at least one month ahead, and the amount of your budget.
7. What do I need to do before the advertising starts?
Update your church website. Web pages should be optimized for users before the ad campaign starts. Facebook users directed to your Web pages will be basing their interest on your photos and content, and deciding on whether they have interest in your church services. See details in #16-18 below.
8. How do I review the ads?
An email is sent to you with ad copy for your review. Ad copy suggestions for your church are welcome; please email with your ad request per #6 above.
9. How will my ads be designed?
Typically, one ad design is created with multiple copy options, creating multiple ads. This one ad will automatically adjust to different placement on social media. Multiple images may be used.
Ads are designed to get click throughs to your Website and will not have all of the details about church services.
Flexibility with creative and ad copy is needed in order to achieve the best response. Ads are continuously monitored for cost, engagement and responses.
10. Can I change the advertising?
If you would like to change the ad copy, please be aware that there is a quick turnaround time on any changes. There is no charge for one-time changes or corrections.
Note that ad copy is tested and changed occasionally to improve ad performance. We need flexibility with the copy and images in order to get the best results.
To make a change to ads, please reply all to the email your church received about Facebook advertising with details about the change requested.
11. Who are the ads targeting?
Facebook users 21+, all genders, in the general area surrounding the church.
Additional custom targeting options may include users that have already responded to ads, new users that have engaged with Facebook events similar to Prayer that Heals, and user interests. Targeting users in certain areas may not be a large enough reach to run an effective campaign, so targeting may be expanded to your county.
Our online marketing consultant will target the appropriate audience for your ads. Ads are tested, monitored and retargeted as needed for cost, engagement and responses.
Instagram is owned by Facebook, so Instagram users may be included as well in the same ad campaign. You will receive combined ad reporting at the end of each campaign. Results will show number of users reached and number of times ad links were clicked.
12. How many users will ads reach?
Reach depends upon the ad budget. As this is a new ad program, we will be keeping a close eye on ad campaign results and appreciate feedback/fruitage from your campaign. Our first test ad campaign with an increased budget of $500 reached over 8,000 users with nearly 300 link clicks on the ads.
13. What does an increased budget cover?
When a church contributes $250 (the minimal amount for an ad), Facebook is paid $125 for the ad cost, and $125 pays our consultant for creating and managing the ad campaign, creation of the ads, monitoring ads, responding to ad comments, and tracking and reporting results.
When the budget is increased to $500, we can potentially reach twice as many users and receive twice as many responses/link clicks because we are doubling the amount paid to Facebook for ads.
Note: We can also give you suggestions for improving your Web pages which can increase response.
14. How can I monitor progress and results of ads?
The results of your ads are tracked by Facebook Link Clicks which will be provided to you when the ads are complete. Link Clicks measure how many users clicked on the ads to go to your Web pages.
If you have church Web pages on PrayerThatHeals.org, we will be able to tell you how much your traffic has increased due to ads.
If you have an independent Website, you may request statistics/reporting from your Web hosting provider, showing the number of Web page views, etc.
15.What results should I expect from the ad?
A budget of under $500 allows for a basic Facebook ad campaign. Results (number of users reached and link clicks) vary based on multiple factors, including Facebook and Instagram algorithms which helps determine cost per user reached. The cost may be different based on your area and other factors out of our control. The way to reach more users is to increase the budget. The number of users reached corresponds directly with the statistics.
Users that like our page may receive future notices of Facebook events and daily posts, so the efforts to advertise churches are beyond what you see and the results are magnified.
Facebook and Instagram users that respond are not assured to attend any service. Many users are simply expressing their interest, thereby accomplishing our awareness goal.
16. What information needs to be included on our website?
Your church ads will take people directly to your church website or Web pages on PrayerThatHeals.org. To attract newcomers to your services, here is some information you may want to include: updated days/times of services, phone or Internet service information, why people should attend your church services, church history, upcoming church events, etc. Reading room or Sunday school information may also need to be updated.
Photos may include those of attendees/members outside or inside your church, people in your Reading Room, classes in your Sunday School or colorful displays, lecture audiences, the church building, and the church auditorium with people, etc.
17. What if we have our own church Website?
If you have an independent church website, be sure to update photos and information on your website before your ad campaign begins.
18. What if we have Web pages on Prayerthatheals.org?
If you have your church Web pages on PrayerThatHeals.org, please send current photos and any new information and your Web pages will be updated before your ad campaign begins. Email us or send photos using the Dropbox link on our Contact Us page.
19. What else can I do?
- Join us in prayer to know that your ads will be well received by the public, and that your lecture will bless our communities.
- Like the main Prayer that Heals Facebook page and engage to support our Internet marketing efforts.
- Please let us know results or fruitage from the advertising campaign. We appreciate hearing the number of attendees from Facebook ads, or viewers of online lectures. This feedback helps us maintain this advertising program.
- View our Website prayerthatheals.org periodically. You may also share Web pages via the blue "Share This Page" button at the top right of each Web page.
One ad campaign will not necessarily encourage users to attend a church or event. Similar to a print ad, it often takes several attempts to reach people for them to take action. Facebook advertising would ideally be done in conjunction with other branch church advertising for the best results. Various forms of advertising could include church listings in directories (print and online), local mailings, online calendar listings, their own social media presence, email marketing, press releases, radio ads, newspaper ads, etc. in order to reach more people in their area.
- This optional ad program is being provided by Joint Media and our online marketing consultant as a service to our local churches. Any church can contribute funds to the ad program if they wish to advertise their services to Facebook users for more traffic to their Website. A treasurer remittance form is attached to the initial advertising email. Print form.
- Sign up to receive Joint Media email newsletters in order to receive more communication about advertising efforts.
- Be sure to add our online marketing consultant, Tina Johnson, to your email contact list email@example.com
20. Where do I send my ad contribution?
A check can be sent directly to the Joint Media Committee of Southern California. P O Box 846, Los Angeles, CA 90078-0846. Please include a treasurer Remittance Form and keep a copy for your records. Print form.
21. Will I be receiving an invoice?
You will not be receiving an invoice through Tina Johnson. Please submit a treasurer Remittance Form with your payment to the Joint Media Committee and keep a copy for your records. Print form.
Last Update: 5/12/22